Cryptocurrency gambling has become quite common these days. These digital coins give players at the best crypto casino fast, secure, and anonymous transactions. But cryptocurrencies are highly volatile. Thankfully, the emergence of stablecoins offers online gamblers an excellent alternative to crypto gambling. So, in this tutorial, you'll discover how stablecoins work and why you should start using them in online gambling instead of fiat currencies.
The high volatility of cryptocurrencies and inconsistent values is the main reason for the birth of stablecoins. These altcoins are designed to maintain a stable value for betting, typically pegged to common fiat currencies like USD, EUR, and CAD. This makes stablecoins' value more predictable, unlike crypto coins like Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Dogecoin.
There are several stablecoins today, including those backed by fiat currency reserves, commodities like gold or silver, and more. Some commonly used stablecoins include:
- Tether (USDT)
- USD Coin (USDC)
- Dai (DAI)
- Binance USDC (BUSD)
- Paxos Standard (PAX)
Note that each of these coins has its own strength and weakness, although this guide will summarize the pros and cons of online gambling with stablecoins. Keep reading to learn more!
Without any further ado, below are the main types of stablecoins:
- Fiat-Backed Stablecoins: As the name hints, these stablecoins are backed by a fiat currency reserve, typically at a 1:1 ratio. In other words, a stablecoin issuer may hold $1 reserve currency for every $1 worth of stablecoins in circulation. This type of stablecoin is straightforward and reliable, as a tangible asset directly backs it. Examples of fiat-backed stablecoins include USDT (Tether) and USDC (USD Coin).
- Cryptocurrency-Backed Stablecoins: You don't need any introduction to these stablecoins, do you? Instead of being backed by currency reserves, these digital coins are supported by other coins like Ethereum and Bitcoin. Put simply, the value of the stablecoin depends on the value of the supporting cryptocurrency. This stablecoin is helpful for those seeking to maintain cryptocurrency exposure while escaping volatility.
- Commodity-Backed Stablecoins: These stablecoins are also relatively easy to understand because they have a reserve of a physical commodity, like gold or silver. This type of stablecoin can hedge against inflation and economic instability, as the item's value is generally less volatile than traditional currencies. For example, you can trade gold with 430 XAUT (Tether Gold).
- Algorithmic Stablecoins: These stablecoins use complex algorithms and smart contracts to maintain a stable value. The computerized algorithm adjusts the stablecoin's supply based on market supply and demand, stabilizing the price. More coins are automatically issued to normalize the value of this stablecoin when there is high demand. Algorithmic stablecoins are arguably the most decentralized and autonomous digital coins because they don't rely on a centralized authority or reserve.
There are several advantages of playing crypto-casino games using stablecoins. These advantages also apply when using volatile coins like Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash.
- Stable Value: Stablecoins hedge against cryptocurrency's volatility, allowing gamers to avoid Bitocoin's price fluctuations. Cryptocurrency volatility can lead to heavy losses when the price fluctuates. Playing the best online casino games with stablecoins means you'll enjoy all the benefits of altcoins without worrying about the coin's volatility.
- Faster Transactions: Compared to playing the best online casino games for real money, Stablecoins can often facilitate faster and cheaper transactions. Like altcoins, stablecoins are a decentralized form of payment, meaning your transactions don't need verification and approval from banks and financial institutions, which often slows down the process. Usually, withdrawals can take less than 24 hours.
- Lower Transaction Fees: In most online casinos, stablecoins have lower transaction fees than fiat currency payment methods. In fact, the best online casinos don't charge any fees when depositing and withdrawing using stablecoins. Consider this; your bank or e-wallets will charge you a fee when withdrawing casino winnings. Stablecoins and altcoins don’t!
- Anonymous Casino Payments: Do you live where online gambling is illegal? Besides using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to mask your online footprints, stablecoins will be helpful for borderless gaming. Governments and banks do not regulate these safe casino payment methods. But don't use stablecoins for online criminal activities like money laundering because the authorities will still track your payments.
- Exclusive Stablecoin Bonuses: Some gambling sites offer exclusive bonuses and promotions for players who use stablecoins for their transactions. Sometimes, these bonuses may have more value than fiat currency deposit rewards. But whichever bonus you claim, reading the fine print is essential.
Anything with pros must also have a few cons, and stablecoins are no different. Below are some of the reasons to be wary of stablecoin gambling:
- Limited Acceptance: Stablecoins were launched in 2014, meaning they are a relatively new form of payment in the online gambling world. Online gamblers may have to dig deeper to find a casino site supporting this payment option.
- Potential Volatility Risks: While stablecoins should offer less volatility than other crypto coins, they can still be open to volatility risks. It's common for these digital coins to experience some degree of volatility, especially the crypto-backed stablecoins. They can experience sudden price fluctuations that can impact the value of their winnings or losses at the casino.
- Regulatory Risks: Many countries have yet to legalize altcoins as a form of payment, let alone stablecoins. This means stablecoins may be subject to regulatory scrutiny or restriction in some jurisdictions. For instance, gambling sites that accept digital coins are not widespread in the United Kingdom's regulated market.
- Security Risks: Some stablecoins may be issued by relatively unknown or untested companies, increasing the risk of counterparty default or insolvency. For this reason, gamblers should research the reputation of the stablecoin wallet before purchasing digital coins.
Now you know the difference between stablecoins, cryptocurrencies, and real money gambling. With stablecoins, you'll enjoy all the benefits of cryptocurrency gambling plus the added advantage of low or no volatility.
But always remember to purchase your stablecoins from reputable companies. Some brokerage companies can overvalue digital coins or expose your altcoin to security risks. And most importantly, practice bankroll management regardless of your selected payment methods. Have fun!